Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Queretaro.

I am having an excellent time in Queretaro! I arrived on Monday, but slept through most of the day. I am living with Lecha and her daughter, Laticia. Lecha is going to be 80 this year, and has 6 daughters and one son. I have met several of the daughters and some of their children already, people are always dropping in during meal times. She is so sweet and cute, and I am already learning a lot of Spanish from her.

Yesterday I walked to my school, OLE, which is just a 20 minute walk from my house. The people at OLE are so kind! When I am walking in that area I always stop in to say hi. At OLE I met up with two girls I traveled with and we went to a few bookstores and walked around. The city is so beautiful! Last night my housemate arrived, Sarah; she is in the same program as me. It is fun to have her around the house.
"A different language is a different vision on life"  -  OLE, mi escuela


Today after breakfast Sarah and I went out to walk around the town and set up our phones. We spent maybe an hour getting our telephones set up, and I did very good communicating in Spanish. The guy helping us told me my Spanish was very good! It only cost me $5 for a SIM card, and $5 for minutes. The sales clerks invited us to a fiesta at the store on Saturday, I will try to go because I need to practice my Spanish and make friends! On our way back we walked on the street next to ours, which is filled with much more shops and restaurants. There are so many things right near our house to do and see.




La comida is in 15 minutes, which is my main meal of the day. An interesting cultural thing is that you have to eat everything that is put on your plate. If you waste food and don't finish your plate that is considered rude. Also, when you meet new people you greet them with a kiss on the cheek.

Tonight my roommate and some of our other friends might go to el cine (the movies). On Wednesday nights movie tickets are half off, so I think it is only $3 or $4 dollars. We have to take a taxi there but taxis are very cheap too!

3 comments:

  1. sounds awesome smalls!! keep up the writing and pics... good to see what you are up to. have you found a church yet? keep your eyes open for opportunities He provides!! be safe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Morgan, I am so impressed! Great photos and narrative, keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nate, as I toured the city today I went into some churches, catholic churches are very different! i might go with my host mom sometime, though. i hope you, ashley, and kids have a great summer! i can't wait to see you when i return!


    Amanda, i'm glad you enjoy reading and seeing my pictures! i miss you!!

    ReplyDelete